Friday, November 2, 2012

The Trip of a Lifetime: Egypt

I've long had a dream to visit Egypt but never knew if my dream would be realized. This October our family traveled to Egypt with another family and explored some of Egypt's greatest wonders. It was an amazing trip that I will never forget. I will document the trip on this blog, so please check back often for updates about our adventures.

It was a very good thing that we experienced Egypt after living in Saudi Arabia. There were many things that would have been terribly shocking if I had traveled to Egypt from the U.S. For example:

1) The bathroom situation in Egypt would have been appalling without prior experience to Saudi toilets. I keep meaning to write a blog post about toilets in the Middle East. I just never think to snap pictures of the holes in the ground and less than ideal facilities. Anyhow, it didn't faze me to see water on the floor of the bathroom--spray from the bidet. Just wipe down the seat and do your business. No toilet paper is no longer a problem. I just deal with it.

2) The traffic in Cairo is really horrendous, but not much more frightening than Riyadh traffic. We weren't really bothered by the delays and the crazy things we saw on the road. Heck, I see crazy stuff on the road everyday in Riyadh. It no longer even scares me when I see a car driving the wrong way on a road.

3) Seeing the trash in Cairo didn't really shock me, though I think Egyptians do a better job of maintaining things.

I can't wait to share our adventures with you!




1 comment:

  1. I'm looking forward to see your pictures. We, too, dream to visit Egypt but haven't got a chance yet. My daughter is keen about Egypt, she even collected Pyramid 'Playmobil' toys. I can understand why you weren't shocked about the toilet and the traffic. It's just the same with with me before moving to Saudi. Toilet and traffic in Saudi? It's nothing. I come from Indonesia :)

    ReplyDelete