Monday, October 1, 2012

What I Like About Living in Riyadh

Often expats and Saudis ask me, "Do you like living in Riyadh"? The answer is definitely yes. You may wonder what I like about Riyadh. In no particular order, here are some things I enjoy about my life right now.

Seeing camels. I get such a kick out of seeing camels curled up in the back of pickup trucks on the roads. I also enjoy seeing camels in their natural desert environment. I think they are beautiful animals.

Swimming. I love taking my kids to the pool often. I like to swim as well, but I don't always get in the pool with my kids. Sometimes I am content to just sit by the sidelines, reading a book, and keeping an eye on the water shenanigans.

My husband doesn't go on business trips now. 2011 was a tough year because my husband spent a significant time traveling abroad and throughout the U.S. I am so happy to have him home every night. I sleep a lot better too!








I like the plentiful fresh fruits and vegetables found at the market. I especially love that zucchini is always in-season and inexpensive to buy. If you are blessed with a bounteous zucchini harvest, I am your girl to help you with it!


I like exploring new places and cultures. Variety and differences cause me to think and ponder my own culture, values, and ideas. Even when the scenery isn't beautiful, it is still interesting.


I like making friends from all over the world. I have met some really great families here. I appreciate hearing new perspectives and learning about different cultures.


I like hearing the call to prayer five times a day. I don't love the disruption that the call brings if you are trying to do something. But I do like this idea of unified and frequent prayer.

I LOVE having a helper do the heavy cleaning in my home.

I like trying new food, especially local food.

I like how much freedom my children have in the compound. They are able to play with their friends without a lot of adult interference.



I absolutely LOVE the desert. It is amazingly beautiful.


I do enjoy the ease of compound living. We have a lot of great amenities that make my life very comfortable.

If you live in Riyadh, what do you enjoy about it?





1 comment:

  1. Have you posted your zucchini recipes yet? I made zucchini parmesan tonight -- layered zucch, breadcrumbs, garlic salt, ricotta (didn't have this time), mozzarella, parmesan, sauce, then repeated. 350 for 30 min covered, 10 min more uncovered to brown.

    ReplyDelete