Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Maintenance Perks

So let's say your dishwasher breaks down, leaking water all over underneath your sink. If you own your house, you are probably cursing as you try and figure out if you'll attempt fixing it yourself or if you will call a plumber to fix it for you. If you have a landlord, you call them and hope they'll get it sorted out before dinner, which usually doesn't happen.

If my dishwasher breaks down, I make a phone call to maintenance and by the end of the day, someone usually comes over to fix it. Simple and easy. If my light bulbs burn out, I call the maintenance guys to change the bulbs. That's right, I don't even change my own light bulbs.

Last week, my dryer broke. After a phone call, the maintenance crew came around, took a look at the dryer and brought me back a new one. It's a very nice luxury to have an on-call maintenance crew. Granted, maintenance isn't always perfect. My fellow compound residents do have some stories of things not getting fixed properly or having to sit in the house for days to get things working properly.




We have a crew that keeps the trees trimmed, the grass clipped, and things generally neat outdoors. Of course, all these perks are covered by the high yearly rent that is paid once a year in one enormous lump sum.

Regardless of the hiccups, maintenance still makes my life immeasurably easier. I'm really, really going to miss them when I move back to New York.

(Pictures courtesy of my 3-year old son. Please excuse the little fingers in the frame.)


No comments:

Post a Comment