Saturday, March 30, 2013

I have quiet days and weeks too!

I've been re-reading my regular emails I send to my family back home. Sometimes I am just exhausted after reading them. We've got a lot going on from school, piano lessons, piano teaching, parties, social events, as well as exploring Riyadh. All of it is stuff we love. But not all weeks are like that. Lest you think that my life is a never-ending whirlwind, I'm here to reassure you that I have slow weeks that aren't exciting at all.

So this week I:

taught several piano lessons
helped kids with homework
cooked several meals
made beds
cleaned up messes
went on walks with my toddler
took my toddler swimming
took my toddler to the park and indoor playground
swept floors
wiped off dirty counters
studied Arabic
washed laundry
put away laundry
exercised
brushed my daughter's hair

And this brings to an important point. I like living abroad with my kids. I even like traveling with my kids. I'm glad that we didn't delay these experiences because of our kids. Living abroad with my kids gives me built in structure. I can never ever say I'm bored because I am too busy making sure my household functions smoothly. Its hard to feel lonely when you've got five kids running around making a lot of noise and big messes. I wish I had more time to explore, but having my kids also opens doors that would otherwise be closed to me here. When I go out in Riyadh with my toddler who has blonde and blue eyes, people stop and talk to me. Saudi women admire my cute little boy and we can chat about mutual experiences of motherhood.


No comments:

Post a Comment