Saturday, February 18, 2012

Photo of the Day: Where sheer chaos reigns. . .

Our compound hosts several events to keep residents entertained. I've been keeping up with the events, trying to keep involved so we'll meet people and have fun. When I saw the Mcdonald's evening for children advertised, I figured my kids would be keen to go. I had no idea what awaited us. . .
Around 4 p.m. on Wednesday (our Friday), families started to show up at the main Recreation hall. Kids buzzed to the front on scooters and bikes. Mothers pushed babies in strollers and held toddlers hands. The rush to the basement Arabian room was a bit exciting. Then we entered the room where the under 12 set were getting geared up for some fun.
McDonald's balloons decorated the room. The children quickly began a collecting game where the object was to get as many balloons as possible, regardless if everyone actually got a balloon. I curtailed my children's participation in this competion and directed them to the face-painting table. (I couldn't help but think of my friend in Hong Kong who runs a face-painting business. I wished she was there.) Kids pushed each other around to get the best spot in the line, while the painting artists were incredibly slow and meticulous in their painting.

W waited patiently with Bubba J to get his face-painted. Bubba J sat patiently in this chair, closed his eyes tightly, and didn't move an inch while getting his forehead painted. Just as my oldest was about to sit down to get his face painted, the artists left. W was indignant. He had waited patiently, despite all the hoards of kids who pushed, shoved, and cut in front of him. W was starving and a little cranky from a persistent headache.
I convinced W to stay and get his happy meal. Distributing the meals was equally chaotic and crazy. We ended up getting our meals. The three oldest boys left to eat at home, while I waited with the two younger ones to see one of the McDonald's mascots to appear.
Once the mascot arrived, the little ones ran to her and gave her lots of hugs. Then I finally convinced them to go.

My take-away from the whole event??? My kids were too well-behaved to survive the malestorm of bad manners, little parental intervention, and chaos. I was frustrated at how many children simply refused to wait in line for their turn, but pushed and shoved their way around. Even more astonishing was how many mothers simply watched this behavior without any intervention--verbal or otherwise. There is something to be said about learning how to share, waiting one's turn, and behaving well in public. At least my kids have internalized these lessons.

1 comment:

  1. What is wrong with those mothers?!?! That infuriates me. Poor W.