Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Jet Lag

Wow! I have been busy. I'm behind on posting. And there is so much I want to write about.

Jet lag is something with which, unfortunately, I am too familar. There is always a point in traveling where I am so exhausted that I am shaking and can't form a coherent thought or sentence to save my life.
I hit that point when I was in the airport in Riyadh, waiting for my passport to be stamped. It took an inordinate amount of time to get my fingerprints taken because I was shaking so badly. My husband, in an earlier visit, had the foresight to make sure all our beds were ready. (Bless that man!)
I think I slept better that first night in our new home than I had in months. The year leading up to this adventure was incredibly stressful. My husband traveled frequently and with little warning. He would call me one day and tell me he would have to make a trip and then be gone in two days. We were a year behind in our assignment placement and so he had to make frequent trips to Saudi Arabia.
When my husband is gone from home, I don't sleep well. I'm not afraid of being alone in the house, but I can't relax without him by my side. So I went months suffering from sleep deprivation. (Sounds like being a new mom, doesn't it? Sadly, I didn't have a darling infant to make the sleep deprivation worthwhile.) At one point, my doctor prescribed some sleep medication for me because I was experiencing frequent migraines with occular effects.
And then there was the stress. I don't think you can even begin to imagine what the entire process was like. Unfortunately, our company really didn't know what they were doing in the visa process. They delayed procedures that should have been done months ago. My poor husband ended up doing most of the work to get our assignment approved and the visa process completed. We would cross one hurdle and then be faced immediately with another.
We said many earnest prayers. We fasted. We did everything we could, but still the process dragged along. The day of our flight was fraught with its own challenges. So when we FINALLY safely landed in the Kingdom, the only thing we felt was complete relief.
We were together again. My husband wouldn't have to travel. We had our house and our stuff had arrived so we could unpack. So, for the first time in months, the stress and tension was gone.
I think my kids struggled with it for a bit, but they would hang out in their beds and not bother us.
I think that was the first and only time I have ever escaped jet lag. Funny, isn't it???

No comments:

Post a Comment